The Fifth Ward Civic Club along with Forgotten Dogs of Fifth Ward and Barrio Dogs signed up 70 residents at BigFixHouston on Saturday for free spayed/neutering, rabies shot and microchips. The turnout was awesome and a big thanks to everyone who volunteered and came out to support the cause.
Are you ready to get your dog fixed or know someone who wants or needs to do this? Free spayed vouchers will be given out on Saturday, 2/11/2017 from 10am-12pm at Fifth Ward Jam Park located at 3705 Lyons, Houston, TX 77020. In addition to the vouchers, your dog will get a free rabies shot and a free microchip. Vouchers are also available for cat neutering. Please do not bring animals as this event is only to give out vouchers. Contact email@example.com or call 832-534-3845 for more information. To donate to Big Fix Houston, click here.
Big KUDOS to Commissioner Rodney Ellis and Habitat for Humanity for the recent maintenance of the historic Evergreen Negro Cemetery! Fingers crossed this will not be a one-time event.
Read more ›
Thanks to all that showed up on Monday, 1/16/2017, in celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King, Day of Service. We received about 37 volunteers from Positveblack Maleofhouston, Fifth Ward BOND, Alpha Phi Alpha, former & current residents and the Fifth Ward Civic Club. We appreciate Keep Houston Beautiful and City of Houston Solid Waste Management for providing tools and trash removal. Next time you see a litterbug in the community, remind them their trash is not our treasure.
FIFTH WARD NEIGHBORHOOD CIVIC CLUB ACCOMPLISHMENTS OVER 2016
- Added 13 new civic club members
- 8 organized cleanups that yielded 194 total volunteers
- Block captain program was rebooted and we have collectively reported over 100 issues to Dept. of Neighborhoods, Solid Waste, Public Works, & Councilman Davis office
- Through our block captain initiative, 3 unsafe, fire damaged, abandon homes were demolished [1920 Capron, 4310 Nichols, 2301 San Juan]
- June – October Civic Club for the first time in its history awarded Yard of the Month recipients w/a $20 Home Depot gift card
- 500 and growing followers on Facebook and 5,502 total civic club blog visitors versus 268 visitors in 2015
- In November 2016 the civic club received a Certificate of Recognition from Keep Houston Beautiful & Mayor Sylvester Turner for the monthly Keep 5 Alive Year-Round Initiative
- Responsible for getting at least 2 packs of dogs and several dangerous loose dogs removed from the neighborhood
We look forward to another year of revitalizing the historic Fifth Ward!
Please join us at Boyce Dorian Park located at 2000 Erastus St. 77020 on, 1/16/2017 at 10am and we will provide you with a pair of gloves and a litter grabber. The Fifth Ward Civic Club Block Captains will then lead groups of volunteers to the target areas located within a 3 to 5 block radius of the park.
Thanks to Fifth Ward Civic Club members, Positive Black Male Role Models of Houston, Young Women of Greater Purpose, Giggles & Girls and community volunteers for braving cold temps on 12/10/2016 to help clear the cemetery in preparation of the Veteran Wreath Ceremony that occurred on 12/17/2016. We hope that Project Respect, the organization that controls the cemetery and Dr. Woodrow ‘Woody’ Jones, the trustee of the cemetery, will be able to organize subsequent clean-ups to help with maintaining this cultural and ancestral eye soar in the historic Fifth Ward community.